Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Day at the Zoo

I went to the Henry-Doorly Zoo today with my ten-year-old goddaughter and her family. We had a picnic, saw lots of cool critters, and generally had a ton of fun. However, we didn't get to see the new butterfly pavilion because the zoo was packed to the brim with people, and the crowds at the pavilion were insane. When we arrived at the zoo at 11:00 am, we were given tickets that would admit us to the pavilion between 4:00 and 4:30. By 3:00, we were totally pooped and ready to call it a day. Then we went out for ice cream at the famous Zesto's. Despite the fact that I've lived in Omaha for many, many years, it was my first trip to Zesto's. I'd never seen strawberry soft-serve ice cream before, but it was so good that I'll definitely go back. It would make a good cap for any zoo trip.

So here are a few photo highlights . . .

The tapirs were all lovey-dovey. So cute!


Ball o' lemurs up on the ledge.


Mr. Bobcat was showing off for a change.


The okapi was out and about. Such a beautiful creature.


Giraffes and penguins living together. 'Tain't natural, but they seem happy.


The peacock was struttin' his stuff for the ladies.


The leafy sea dragon is one of the most elegant and exquisite animals I know of.


Shark! Look at all those teeth!


And this fish is just plain weird. I don't know what it is, but it looks like it's trying to grow up to be a narwhale.


That's all for now. Have a great weekend!

No comments: