Saturday, November 08, 2008

PWF?

Mom and I drove to Kansas on Thursday for the heartbreaking funeral of a wonderful cousin who was only 40 and left us far too soon.

Along the way, we missed a turn at Beatrice, Nebraska. In an attempt to get back on a road that lead to Fairbury, we ended up on a little rural highway that didn't seem to have a name. It was only labeled "PWF." We never saw any clues as to what this might mean, and I haven't had much luck with Google. The road was paved, but narrow and shoulderless. Most of it was still the old pink pavement (which is getting pretty rare), much patched with cement and asphalt. We were on this road for a good thirty miles, and we only encountered seven other vehicles, including the guy driving his combine in the corn field. It was the ultra-scenic route. Compared with the interstate, which is so high up, with such wide shoulders and ditches, on a road like this, everything seemed so very close. And it really was beautiful, with all the reds and golds across the landscape.

So, anyone out there know what PWF stands for? "Public Way to Fairbury"? "Pretty Weird and Far-out"? "People With Farms"? Actually, I'd like to know the real meaning, but I welcome humorous guesses, too.

Quasi-related, we also saw a blue water tower labled "Little Blue NRD." Now I know NRD stands for Nebraska Rural District, but for all the world it looked like "Little Blue Nerd."

Addendum 11/11/08: My mom found it: Public Works & Facilities. That's not nearly as interesting as I'd hoped, but there it is.

Addendum 1/8/09: A kind Fairbury native (kjvaughn) corrected me. PWF stands for "Pawnee City, Wymore, Fairbury," the three towns connected by that road. Locals, however, say it means "Poorest Way to Fairbury."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm probably like you. I read fast and often see things that aren't there. Sometimes what I see is more interesting than what is really there. :)

kjvaughn said...

The official meaning of PWF is: Pawnee City, Wymore, Fairbury
The road connects these 3 towns, beginning in Fairbury and ending (I think) in Pawnee City.

Of course, the locals in Fairbury usually say it means "Poorest Way to Fairbury"

The road has been more or less in the condition you found it for 30+ years, though it has been much worse at times. I lived on it during my high school years, and as I had memorized every pothole, dip and drop-off, I could drive 90 mph on it without a problem (tho I wouldn't try it now!)

Anj said...

Thank you! I'm so glad to know the real answer!