Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Jones Soda Holiday Pack: Dinner Roll Soda

For Christmas, I received the Jones Soda Holiday Pack, a collection of five soda pops with flavors to simulate a full meal. Last year’s pack provided me with a five-point scale on which to rate this year’s flavors.

Last year’s flavors:
1) Brussels Sprout with Prosciutto = unfathomably nasty (I had to pour most of it out)
2) Wild Herb Stuffing = plain nasty (I finished it, but it was a struggle)
3) Turkey & Gravy = not bad (in fact, surprisingly good)
4) Pumpkin Pie = quite yummy
5) Cranberry Sauce = delicious (I’d buy this year-round)

This year, four of the five flavors are new. I have lined them up in my refrigerator in the order I would consume them if they were part of an actual meal on my plate: dinner roll, pea, sweet potato, turkey & gravy, and antacid. I will have one each day, and post a report on the flavor.

Today’s flavor: Dinner Roll

First and foremost, the experience of a true dinner roll is as much about texture as taste. In fact, I’d say that texture is absolutely critical to any bread experience. So the very concept of a bread-flavored soda is deeply disturbing to me. Bread is not meant to be liquid.

Well, here goes . . .

Under the cap: “You will seriously consider a move by year-end.”
My response: No. No, I won’t.

If the label did not say “dinner roll,” I’m not certain what I would call this flavor. “Butter” comes to mind, with a faint chemical aftertaste. It reminds me of a less-sweet version of the Jelly Belly “buttered popcorn” flavor. It’s actually not a bad taste. Certainly not one I’d care to have again, but not wash-my-mouth-out horrible, either. I guess I’d rank it in the middle, with “turkey & gravy.” However, a “dinner roll” it most certainly is not.

Oh, and by the way, according to the “What Jones Holiday Soda Are You?” Quiz, I’m . . .

You Are Broccoli Casserole Soda

Vegetarians taste better!


I’ve never tasted that soda, nor have I tasted a vegetarian, but I do love broccoli casserole . . .

If you really have nothing better to do with your time, you can take the quiz yourself at:
http://www.blogthings.com/whatjonesholidaysodaareyouquiz/

No comments: