Monday, April 02, 2007

What Kind of Meow is That?

This morning after my shower, my cats--as usual--were gathered by the bathroom sink. Their goal, of course, is to get me to turn on the water so they can drink. However, the bathroom sink is presently broken (leaving me washing my hands and brushing my teeth in the kitchen, but I digress), so they have not been getting their flowing water lately. (Horrors! They must be content with the filtered water in the bowl.)

Well, impatient with what he must have perceived as my senseless cruelty in not turning on the water, my little rumple-furred baby let loose this incredibly bizarre, off-key, low, warbling meow. The closest thing I can use to describe it is a sheep’s baa recorded and played back through a distorter, or perhaps some kind of freaky ray gun from a 1950s B-movie.

Although it’s rare, this isn’t the first time I’ve heard him do this. He only does it in the mornings right after my shower, while he’s waiting for me to turn on the sink faucet. I’m not sure if it’s cat for, “Hurry up, already!” or if he’s just meowing and yawning at the same time.

No comments: