Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Kannazuki no Miko (final review)

Kannazuki no Miko does get better after that awful first episode. Alternatively, I suppose it’s possible that I developed somewhat of an immunity, but I do think the quality of the story improved.

As it turns out, there are several bishounen, which would seem to negate my original impression of this being just a straight man’s fantasy show. Pretty boys in anime are generally intended to appeal to straight women, so they really did try to create a show with broad appeal. Sometimes it comes across as a bunch of random stuff thrown in a blender, but I’ve seen worse attempts.

However, there are several things about the show I dislike, aside from those I already mentioned in my review of the first episode and the unforgivable offense I mention below. Some of the villains are almost indescribably annoying, especially the lolicon catgirl nurse.

But still, by the second DVD the show had gotten good enough that I found myself actually looking forward to the next episode. Then at the end of the second DVD the plot turned in a direction that pissed me off so very much that I nearly quit watching.

Note to writers: if you plan on attempting to redeem a character who goes evil in the middle of your plot, do not have that character rape anyone, especially not someone s/he professes to love. Even if the victim does (astonishingly) forgive that character, many members of the audience will not, no matter what happens for the rest of the plot.

I forced myself to go on after that, grumbling and muttering my way though the last DVD, frustrated and annoyed and generally discomfited. But by the last two episodes (which I actually broke my one-episode-per-sitting rule and watched together), they pulled off a much better ending than I had expected. Mind you, that doesn’t mean it was a great or completely satisfying ending, but it was as good of an ending as could be hoped for that plot. I won’t go into details, because I wouldn’t want to spoil it for anyone who does plan to watch it.

The better qualities of Kannazuki no Miko remind me variously of Pretear, Fruits Basket, and Gundam SEED. If you like those kinds of shows, then there is a chance you might like this one, although I make no promises. Poor writing and a choppy, uneven plot lower its caliber considerably. Overall, this is not a great show, nor even a good show. But it isn’t completely awful either. I can't really recommend it, but your mileage may vary.

But I still like the techno dance themes and battle music.

No comments: