Sunday, November 26, 2006

A Domestic Goddess I Am Not

I have a new laser printer, and I am determined that it shall not die the same cat-hair-clogged death as my old ink jet printer. So I decided to make a cover for it. However, I am rather lacking in actual sewing skill. I am shamed to say that from conception to completion, this project took four hours. (The cover, mind you, consists of only three pieces of cut fabric. Anyone with talent could probably have whipped this up in less than an hour, and the results surely would have looked better.)

Lacking an actual cloth measuring tape, I made approximate measures with a wooden yardstick. Then I taped together several sheets of 8 1/2” x 11” paper to get a page large enough to cut a rough pattern from, after which I hacked up an old tie-dyed bed sheet, frequently shooing away meddlesome cats. Then I moved on to the sewing machine, then the seam ripper, then the sewing machine again.

The result, as you can see, is not particularly pretty. I am a perfectionist about many things, but obviously sewing is not one of them. But it will do the job.

No comments: